Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Premiere

I went to the D.C. premiere of Michael Moore's new film, "Sicko."

Steve gets invited to these things, I'm assuming, because of his clout in the Washington press community. But, he didn't take this ticket offer, and instead passed the pass on to Bettina (my DLC cohort) and I. This is why Steve is awesome. Well, not all of why--but, part of it. Any pass to any D.C. movie premiere would have been great, but this one was rather exciting because of the controversy surrounding it, the guests, and just the political nature of this movie and this city.

Moore uses this film to take a huge stab at the health care industry in America. He reviews stories of American citizens with and without health insurance, including people who helped the rescue efforts on 9/11. He compares the health system in the United States to largely socialized systems in Canada, France, the UK, and even Cuba. All were pretty thourough looks at what's good about socialized medicine, and what residents of other nations (not necessarily citizens) are getting health-wise...and that they're living longer, in general, than Americans.

Because of my health policy class (which was the most frustrating class ever), I recognized what he was saying as largely accurate, and what he included in the film, rather appropriate. BUT, I also noticed what he wasn't saying, and what he wasn't including. These other systems are not so perfect as he would make them out to be, and in some cases, some socialized nations are looking at how they can de-socialize their system.
This does not mean I disagree with Moore. In my idealistic of hearts, I am totally on his side. His movie made me want more people to have that heart, though.

I met Moore briefly, mainly about state reform and how he left state efforts out of the movie. He was swamped with people, though (as can be expected), so all I got was the picture above (which Bettina actually took).

It was a nice experience, though, not necessarily something to photograph. Some senators and representatives (I noticed Dennis Kucinich) were there, as well as a pro-socialization lobbying group of RNs. Outside, anti-socialization groups dressed like Fidel Castro and passed out flyers about the "real state of Cuban health care," while others just held signs with such statements as "Socialization is Sicko."

It was contentious atmosphere that made the whole movie-going experience great.
And, I even got to walk down a red carpet, surrounded by cameras to get there.
~MJ



PS I highly recommend the movie, even if you are not in favor of socialized health care in America. It's a pretty interesting take on the situation, and rather eye opening...and, it's more about community than it is out political division.

No comments: