The last two days have been busy, but great. I've officially started work at C-SPAN as an programming intern onboard for Campaign 2008 coverage. I am also working on the Distance Learning Class for DU, which I took three times and of which I am known for at the 'Span (People keep saying 'hey MJ!' to me in the hallway, and I have never met them; they then explain that they know me from working on or from watching the DLC class. Crazy!).
C-SPAN is a great deal larger than 9News, and the perks include access to the building's gym, my own C-SPAN e-mail address, and card-key access to our building and all of the C-SPAN offices within it. Woot!
It's a lot different than 9 not only because it's national, but because it's a very different style of journalism. C-SPAN is meant to be provided as a public service (like all news sould be), but the focus is on the happenings of our national government from day-to-day. There's not necessarily reporting, but rather just bringing political events into your living room, and engaging in civic discourse between Washington insiders and viewers.
There is the afternoon meeting where the next day's coverage is determined, and an overview of what aired today that can be reaired later. News values help decide what is and is not covered, but ratings aren't really a concern (it seems). Programming is where this all happens, but multiple other departments work on what goes on the three C-SPAN networks and how that's promoted.
C-SPAN is big on education, so there are traveling buses that promote the networks and promote civic engagment. Part of my internship is helping to move the DLC into "Phase 3" so that the class is more accessible and relevant to high school teachers to use in their lesson plans and curriculums. There are student contests to do citizen journalism using video, and a strong movement to developing an online campaign hub for voters and anyone who wants information about next November.
A lot goes on between Congress, the Courts, and the Executive in one day, and C-SPAN covers the majority of it. It's a full-fledged operation that I am more deeply appreciating at the moment.
I'm excited for my work, and the possibilities I will have to go the White House, some Congressional Hearings, and interviews. For politics, I am researching seven of the Presidential candiates for '08 and gathering information for profile interviews that the political producers will be conducting. If they happen in Washington, I should be able to be a part of them! And, well, travel is still a question, but a possiblity.
The other interns (about 11 others from all departments) are great, too. We're going out after work tomorrow night for a happy hour and are probably going to hang out some outside of work. We will also be doing a Capitol tour and meeting with C-SPAN Founder and CEO Brian Lamb soon, which I am really excited about.
This is going to be a great summer!
~MJ
Picture 1: A view from Union Station, looking North. The most prominent buildings on the right house C-SPAN. We share the complex with FOX News and NBC, as well as other media groups.
Picture 2: A view from the roof of C-SPAN (about 8 stories above the street). In the window on the right, Union Station is reflected.
No comments:
Post a Comment