My job was to hand out C-SPAN waterbottles with three other interns and some marketing folks. It was good times...despite the heat and even with the humidity. We were decked out in C-SPAN Campaign '08 t-shirts and felt ok about saying "Free water-bottles from C-SPAN" along with any of the following:
"The best thing you can get at a Congressional Baseball Game," "From the network that brought you Congress," "Courtesy of your favorite cable network," and "YES, IT'S FREE. AND NO, THERE'S NO CATCH. AND YES, IT CAN HOLD ANY LIQUID."
At one point, a guy walked by with a T-shirt that read "Too sexy for Santorum." Yes, but he was not too sexy for C-SPAN. Here's your free liquid container, sir.
It was a good hour or so and we had a good time. It got us tickets to the game, but only two of us went...and well, we didn't sit together (ask me about that later). Either way, I made it into the stands and watched three of the seven innings some of our congress people played. Ed Perlmutter, from Colorado's 7th, was there (I gave a water bottle to his daughter and confirmed his presence). Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to see him (or, if I did, I missed it)...and couldn't find a Rockies cap for miles (every member wore his/her home team's uniform).
Oh well.
I saw Speaker Pelosi as she walked right in front of me with a crowd of people (I had some warning, as her security detail was casually standing in my section...and I was the only person within hearing distance of him). She is apparently the first Speaker to attend the game in over a decade...the last Speaker was Tip O'Neil.
Anyway, I watched these folks play some ball...it was definitely not good baseball, but sometimes amusing (and some of them had their moments). The Dems were getting their butts handed to them again as I left (they were ahead when I started watching, and then let 4 runs go before getting 1 out at the top of the 2nd--it was downhill from there. They got two runners out in one play, but then promptly made enough errors to throw another couple runs for the Republicans). It was a rough game for anyone wearing blue, but I'm sure they'll get over it.
It was a good night, long day for sure. I'll be headed to the Capitol for most of the day tomorrow...I'm in on a press conference, maybe a hearing, and the party lunches on the Senate side. I believe all I am going to see will be airing at some point this week on one of the three C-SPAN networks..and on C-SPAN.org.
Until next time, keep it real with your favorite congressional network...
~MJ
The Dems had a rough night...
My favorite moment? Hearing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" when nobody could agree on "Root Root Root for the...Donkeys/GOP/Nationals"
Oh, and the "Go Congressman Ryan!" sign.
Only in Washington, my friends. Only in Washington.
No comments:
Post a Comment