Everything is unpacked and in its proper place, and I even made it out to Target today to get some bedding that could not be packed. That now infamous experience will be known as "Finding the Target Without a Compass."
After bypassing the campus metro stop (courtesy of my innate ability to find the absolute hardest way to do something), I ended up in DuPont Circle by bus, and onto the subway headed back in the direction I came from.
The train flew in and out of the "Tenely-AU" station, and as much as I tried to ignore it, I frowned at my natural talent of taking the hard way. So, I ended up at Twinbrook Station in Rockville, Maryland, which my directions (compliments of the housing staff at AU) told me would be close to Target. The directions said to arrive at Twinbrook and then go "Southeast toward Bou Ave."
That was it. No hint as to where Southeast was...much less how far the store was from the station...
Needless to say, I wandered in a direction I assumed was Southeast after taking a look at the map (pictured above--I took the picture so that I could constantly refer to the map without having to squat in front of it at a Metro stop). Do you see Bou Ave? Neither did I--But, I saw BouIC!
That was about the moment I veered off into the wrong direction.
Long story short: I walked into the Twinbrook Shopping Center, ate some food, asked some people where Target was (they all said the same place, but in three different ways...and I didn't see the connection until later).
Nevertheless, I made it to Montrose Plaza, which is the plaza IN FRONT OF Target. I made my way around to the Target (which is, not surprisingly in Bou Ave...jeeze), accomplished my shopping goals, and made it back to AU. All in all, the adventure took around three hours.
It was tiresome, but I'm glad I did it. I now know where the nearest Metro stop is, how to use the campus shuttle (I figured that out on my way back), and that Target is about four blocks "southeast" of Twinbrook station. I think I could have surpassed all the madness had I had a compass, or the Rockies, or if I had taken a look at the sun. Maybe.
I also learned how much I can walk in my Crocs before my feet hurt.
Tomorrow? Another run to Target for some secondary essentials, and my trial and error adventure in getting to C-SPAN. Thank goodness they are giving me a dry run before Tuesday!
~MJ
1 comment:
I had a crazy Target experience my first week in Denver!!! We were trying to get to Target from our volunteer house (only to find that it wasn't even open), and we got lost on the way there and lost on the way back. Knowing that when you look at the mountains you are facing west only works when it's not dark and you can see the mountains!!!! Good luck on the rest of your adventures!! P.S. Maybe carry a map? :)
Post a Comment