I love civic responsibility.
That is why I made sure To register to vote for the midterms this year. I no longer have a permanent address in CO, so that means I get my vote on in Oklahoma. As I have mentioned in earlier posts, there is an education issue on the ballot this year. I put a lot of energy into researching that issue to come up with my stance and have already vigorously defended my position to others who don't agree. But, the last weekend in October rolled around and I realized that there are more ballot issues to consider and even candidates. I have turned a deaf ear to political ads out here and even a blind eye to most signs. As I went to research this evening, I discovered just how interesting a ballot, I, as a Tulsa voter, get to see come Tuesday:
( unlike Colorado, there is no "Blue Book." I found issue information at SOS.ok.gov and candidate names at ok.gov/elections . I also trusted a good google search).
I not only get to vote on how the state funds education but I also get to decide whether any laws should bind state legislators to any kind of funding formula. I can also choose to make English the official state language and require all Oklahoma courts to adhere to only state and federal law (as opposed to international and Sharia law...both specifically mentioned in the bill description). The state is also asking whether voters should be required to have state-issued I.D.s, if elected officials should have term limits, and how many signatures should be required to get an issue on the ballot. I am also asked to decide on how the commission to district the state legislature should be formed, and how the judicial commission is structured. Some of these are par the course for state elections (I remember some similar policies for political rules and structures in Colorado) but some are very...different than what I was expecting.
I guess I wasn't expecting much...just to vote. I didn't realize I'd be voting on issues of religion, language, and Nationalism. Nor did I think these really need to be on a ballot for my, or anyone else's, opinion. I fear, too, that my opinion will be overshadowed in a place that would have such issues on it's midterm ballot.
My choice for senator is a much-revered Oklahoman who has been in office forever and a non-name opponent whom I didn't even know was running until I saw his name on the ballot. My district congressman had a very public primary campaign. As a popular incumbent, I wasn't expecting tough competition for him...but, my choice is him (a republican) and an independent with a right-wing libertarian platform. Nothing even centrist about either candidate, much less progressive. There are tons of judgeships that need my rubber stamp and a few other legal offices. Regardless of who wins the governorship, it will be a woman -- the first to hold such office in state history. The current governor (a democrat dubbed "the education governor" although he opposes the education funding bill on the ballot) is throwing support behind his lieutenant governor, although the republican in the race is leading her by double digits.
I didn't see this info on the state sits, but I know I will also get to choose between a guy named "Doak" who's campaign is built on the slogan, "Okie Doak" and a woman for insurance commissioner. Oh, and I did forget to mention, speaking of insurance, the issue on the ballot that, if passed, would not require anyone to have health insurance, provide health insurance, or otherwise use health insurance in the state. Yes, we are that anti-universal health care in this neck of the woods. I need to figure out, though, if that conflicts with the new federal law--this could be an interesting case.
Alas. I am faced with issues that I never thought I would be and have a lackluster variety of candidates. My opinion is most likely in the minority on the bulk of this ballot...a few races may be close, but I am not optimistic.
Still, I will vote. It is not only my right to voice my (oh so little) opinion, it is my responsibility. I really do love my civic responsibility. I just wish my choices, in some cases were different, or at least that I could be heard above the din of Oklahoma voting trends.
At least I have the opportunity to vote. And someday, maybe I'll find a way to influence policy in other ways. Got to love civic reponsibililty and privilege.
Remember, as President Andrew Shepherd once said, "America isn't easy. You've got to want it because it's going to put up a fight. It's going to say, 'you want free speech? Well, then you got to listen to somebody shouting at the top of their lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.'"
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment