My greatest fear almost happened last year, and kind of happened this year. My gag reflex can't even handle the prospect of vomit, much less actual vomit.
Last year, I had a student who kept nagging me to go the bathroom during the last class of the day. I kept saying no because of other behavioral issues and the fact that we had a lot to get through that day. He was annoying, but could have done a lot worse, considering:
right as class was dismissed and his classmates poured into the hallway to go home, this student made it to the trash can (thankfully) and got sick. If only I had given him a bathroom pass. Thankfully, he was ok. And he doesn't hate me.
Now, fast forward to 6th grade this year. Independent reading time at the beginning of class. Everything is silent and peaceful until a whole row of students stand up and say, "gross!" I have had a bug issue this year, so I immediately think it's a cockroach or spider crawling on the floor that the kids are upset about. Then I hear, "he just threw up!"
I went straight to the student, gave him a trash can, and guided him out of the classroom. I asked if he could make it to the nurse on his own and he said yes. Meanwhile, I had a clear, unknown liquid on his desk, seat, and the floor around it. It took me about 1 minute to hear from the office and ask for custodial support, 5 minutes to get everyone back to reading, 5 more minutes to get up the courage to clean the desk with Lysol wipes (for fear of my own regurgitation), 30 seconds to ask security to get the custodian, and 10 more minutes for the custodian to actually show up.
20 minutes later, the student returned the trash can and left for home. Amazingly, class moved on unhindered.
Well, except that my 6th graders now know about my gag reflex.
Alas.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment