Monday, October 04, 2010

Stories from Middle School: 6th Grade Priorities

Preface: Student was late to class. This is his second week in my class, and it's a long way from the 6th grade hall to the 7th grade hall. And, it seemed that he was late getting to school, and arrived to the building just before class began. He had a backpack (supposed to be in locker, which is downstairs from my classroom). I want him in class, so I put his backpack off to the side. It's a two-part lesson day, where one part is in the classroom and then we all go to the library.

Story: Fast forward to the middle of class. We have to go to the library. He has to leave his backpack in classroom so as not to get in trouble with librarian for breaking school rules. He gets assignment for the library involving notebook paper and pencil. Getting ready to line up to leave the classroom, he put said assignment supplies in his backpack like he will leave them there. But, he does put in his pocket...wait for it...Hot Cheetos.

When asked, he said, "I don't want them to be stolen." Then I said, "The door will be locked. And what about your assignment supplies? They are ok to be stolen?" Student: "Oh." Priorities.

Epilogue: Hot Cheetos survived the empty classroom, and said assignment got 1/2 complete. Student did find a book in the library that he's excited to read. Small steps.

Afterword and Acknowledgements: As they come, I hope to include these little tidbits from class. Middle school is so much fun...I love the way the kids think at this age and what they do as a result. Most of the time. "Stories from Middle School" will hopefully reflect the the humor, the trials, and the triumphs of school life in the middle years. If I'm able to find time to write! Thank you to my students for never leaving me with dull moments.

~MJ

No comments: