Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Vast Precipice of Opportunity


The Case For and the Blog of 2006 (finding the profundity, if you will)

I’ve found it. I can’t say quite how. Really, the perfect combination of a journalism textbook and Boston Legal don’t often lead to a theme for anything—much less a whole year.

But, I’ve found it. The theme, or what 2006 has meant to me. I’ve found the profundity…finally.

And, for all these ramblings, which may or may not be vague, it’s interesting to note that the first draft of this piece was written on a legal pad. It’s not important where the “Second Nature” legal pad was acquired—no, what’s important is hat I penned something of a profound nature, albeit vigorously and sloppily, before I used my fingers to pound in a similar fashion (vigorously, that is) on a keyboard. Why? Why does that even matter?

Well, it is not only unusual for me to trust the pen more than the keys, paper more than Microsoft, but it seems to be an astonishing symbol—albeit a conveniently crafted one—of 2006. The perfect way, in fact, to discuss the profundity of the past year; that is, the year that was, and will be known for here on after, as representative of the vast precipice of opportunity.

The definition of precipice, generally, speaks to a steep cliff or overhang, and usually suggests danger or disaster. I, however, like the word better than one of its more fitting synonyms: brink. This blog does not refer to being on the edge of danger or disaster, but rather on the top of a large cliff, overlooking a vast land of opportunity—of option, of choice. Some may be dangerous, or disastrous, yes; but, it also might be on the brink of something great. It’s a huge cliff, with a huge panorama view of possibility…(I hope that satisfies your semantic wishes).

I decided to write the first draft of this in my chicken scratch because the blue-lined yellow paper was so much more welcoming and available, and, because it ties my past, present, and future together so nicely.

You see, I started using legal pads—predominately, at least—for purposes of Lincoln Douglas Debate. In journalism, these elongated, hole-less pads of paper, these are used for disorderly notes and script drafts. I’m sure the drafts of a few political speeches started on legal pads, too.

In both LD and journalism, I’ve toyed, or been told to toy with, law and being a lawyer. I have anxiously pursued being a broadcast journalist, and pondered pursuing my interest in politics, too. You see, whatever my future, as a lawyer, journalist, or politician, all comes back to the legal pad. And all three options—and more—are currently open to me.

Here’s the cue for 2006. At this point in the case for its profundity, it would be appropriate to look at a year in review:

January and February held nothing significant, other than the start of a new year and a new plan, and my second quarter at DU. I did meet Adam Schrager for the first time in February, which marked the beginning of my involvement in local TV news opportunities for the year. Getting there was quite the story…and meeting Adam was tops.

March was eventful. It brought the end of second quarter, my 19th birthday, and a Spring Break trip to see my grandma in Rhode Island. I spent eight hours of my birthday evening (after eight hours of work) on a creative writing portfolio. In total, that portfolio took 40 hours that week, and was finished about five hours shy of 7 AM, when I needed it to be bound so I could work on Saturday. I was sick on St. Patrick’s Day so I didn’t celebrate my birthday then, and the next day, I cut the palm of my hand when cutting a bagel.

April and May were not as exciting, but cool. Refer to January and February, and fill in “third” where ever “second” is. Also, add in the advent of my distance learning class. Oh, the joys of C-SPAN.

In June, I finished my first year of college and had a moment to breathe. In my exasperation, I went with Sam Jones on our first trip to New York City. The six-day, five night trip, was one of the best of my life.

July was filled to the brim with Leader’s Challenge, and I surprisingly didn’t kill my body running to straight academies. They were both amazingly wonderful experiences, which they should have been, since they were my life for four or five weeks.

August brought with it a tide of opportunity in TV news. I had met with Brian Maass over the summer of ’06, and kept in touch. By the beginning of August, I applied to a General News Internship with Adam Schrager at 9News an Investigative Internship with Brian at CBS4. During the month, I was offered both, and unfortunately, had to turn down my old mainstay, CBS4. But, the opportunity remains for someday…

I started at 9News in September, beforehand getting sick as a Discoveries Orientation leader, and started my second year of college. 9News started wonderfully, as did college, and Discoveries was amazing, even with the sore throat.

Through Thanksgiving, I did school and 9News, and followed the midterms closely. I was at Republican headquarters on election night, and on the job: needless to say, I had to conceal my joy for the Democrats. It was still a great night.

In Decemeber, after more work with more reporters and people around the station, I ended my internship at 9. I was pretty sad about leaving, but it was all so bittersweet. Now I had some amazing friends and contacts, and such a great experience under my belt.
Through all of this, multiple opportunities flew at me for the present and for the future, and while many are still under my consideration, I have what this year truly began:

I am standing on a vast precipice of opportunity.

The drama of 2005 is behind me; I’m no longer a novice at this whole college thing, and I’ve found some sort of niche.

What you may not see as of yet, and what I didn’t realize until the Friday night of the second December snowstorm was how short the life of this opportunity really is.

I am on the precipice now, but must plunge as early as next year, and should hit some bottom (or top, as it were) by the end of the decade. At least with this kind of opportunity, this kind of broad, promising opportunity.

Opportunity knocks in different forms in different years all throughout life. No opportunity is any more important than another, necessarily. But, sometimes this worked and its meaning knock and have the potential of opening more doors than some others. And it doesn’t wait around long.

Although a veteran of my second year of college, I have yet committed to just one major or degree, or any definite career. I don’t have to…yet. I have some money and a job, but I’m not chained to either, and the only people I tie myself to are my close friends, family, and contacts. And most of them cannot divide me from my passion(s).

The point is: I have options. 2006 has presented a multitude of options and has been about opening me up to so many possibilities, present and future: the next internship, the next job, the potential career, for example. Studying abroad…where, when, how…what I can do in the coming seasons and the fact that I can choose.

My responsibility? Take advantage of the opportunity; milk it for all its worth; and dive right in. I can still get another degree, go to law school, travel with Up With People, plunge into a variety of internships and just LEARN…

2006 hasn’t been about achieving a big goal or hell—even really defining one. All of this time I have been searching for some semblance of profundity through the narrow scope of simply what has been achieved. But really, I’m realizing the prospect of the unachieved possibilities has been lurking in the crevices of my mind the entire time. And finally, I have recognized them fully—cognitively—as the precipice.

These options are vast opportunities that I will not always have. At the moment, I’m on the verge of what could be great. I don’t need the big goal, because I have too many little ones to achieve first (I can check some off the list now and look forward to some more in the coming months, before the opportunities are missed).

I know I’m in Denver, not Boston—at DU, and not Emerson. Finally, I have that stability of place in my mind, and urge to find opportunities here and take advantage of them in places like D.C. and NYC, and here, while I can. 2006 has awakened me to the number of possibilities DU has presented me that my passions have given me, and the options I have in front of me. This year has gifted me that and pushed me to wanting more. It is oh-so-short-lived because someday, I must make some concrete decisions. 2006 didn’t hold that big day.

Before my closing, I must thank a few people.

Randola has been one of the truest friends of my life, and has continued to inspire, amuse, and love me. She is my hero in more ways than one, and I can’t help but be excited for what possibilities lay before her. Together, we hold amazing potential, and I don’t see how we can’t be anything other than great.

Sam Jones has been a best friend—never failing to raise me from the deepest, darkest, saddest, moments of my life. I’ve learned a lot about great friend Sam, from New York to summer to college, and I love him all the more for every minute. He’s surprised me in some moments but has earned an eternal place in my heart all the same. Here’s to life-long friendship.

Mr. Holtz has continued to be a tremendous friend and mentor. Who was it that I called when I had a great moment with Brian Maass? How about when I got my internship? Or how about when I was crushing on somebody totally out of my grasp? Mr. Holtz has been there through and through, and I respect him so much. So much of what I have learned from him has helped me to see what I want and don’t want in life, and what principles I uphold. I’m no longer that silly little freshman, and I’m glad we’re still friends anyway.

Ashley, my wonderful roommate, has been more than anyone could ask for, and will continue to be one of my best friends. She’s so strong and independent, and even through the rough times, manages to smile. She is more than an inspiration, but one to aspire to.

Everyone at Leader’s Challenge and Up With People, naturally, because they were the first ones to hug me when I got my internship. They let go easily, but kept me close all the same. I worked for them for eight straight months, and they were some of the best of my life. I’m glad to be going back in January.

The crew at 9News—on, and off air—were more than amazing. I felt so welcomed and felt that I could learn so much. And really, I did. There were so many people who taught me so much, and I hope to never lose touch with any of them.

(Shocker, there were no boyfriends that really mattered enough to be mentioned. Sad. For them.)

All of the above have supported, loved, and encouraged me this year. Without them, I may not have, nor be so enthused about being on, the vast, yet short-lived, precipice of opportunity.

Please trust me as I begin the plunge.
(And gift me some legal pads, if only for the opportunity of revived LD Debate, notes for my next package or blog, or even for…law school?)

~MJ



Pages on the horizontally-bound legal pad: 8
Microsoft Word Version: 5 pages of glory

Cross-Outs, Marginal Notes and Additions, Scribbles: too many to count, enough to look thoughtful

Chicken Scratch: horrible and hard to read for someone other than me

Number of Pens: 1

Number of Keys: at least 26 (did I use the letter Z? Now I did)

The Cramp in My Hand After Writing Something: painful

The Onslaught of Carpal Tunnel: less painful.

The typed, final draft: profound as ever…priceless (at least to me).

Next Revision: 2007


No comments: