The moment Mark Cornetta told me to cherish is over. And I'd like to think that I did cherish it--milk it for all its worth, even. It was so hard not to, and it's definitely paid off.
I've met some amazing people. I've worked with them, laughed with them, learned from them. I have new friends that will literally change my life. Really, they already have.
In my first ever meeting with Adam, back in February of this year, he told me that broadcasting was all about people...the people who have great stories to tell, and you have the "awesome responsibility" of helping them do so. I have not found this assertion to be wrong. What I have found, is that he forgot to mention the people you work with. I have encountered so many amazing stories with just the people from the newsroom. They have so many experiences, so many anecdotes. If I've learned anything, it's that this business is built on stories, on experiences, and on amazing people who use both and learn from both. Without these stories, internally and externally, a news station would not be worth its weight in salt.
What has made me the happiest is knowing I have earned some respect, some credibility with these people I admire. I worked my tail off in so many moments and tried so hard to put myself out there. This experience only comes once, and I knew that I would regret any moment in which I held back. And now, I have some amazing people as friends, as contacts...I finally have a semblence of a network within the broadcasting world.
It's the first step. And I am so excited for the journey.
I worked with Chris Vanderveen yesterday,who ended up sharing a lot with me about the business and his experience in it. He gave me some great advice on making a resume tape and let me know that there are still things for him--these days--that bug him, that he needs to work on, and that he needs to build. No one, not even Chris Vanderveen, is perfect. And that was the perfect lesson to hear from him.
Working with Ward Lucas today, I heard some great stories of his amazing tenure as a 9News broadcaster. Everything from covering the mafia to uncovering racism and trying to fix it. He has so many stories, funny and sad, that I was so happy to hear. I was happy that he would share with me, too.
I will miss the station. More than I think I expected. I will love going back to LC for a while, earning a regular paycheck, and having a life outside of news for a while. But I will so completely look forward to Adam's broadcasting class, if only to continue to get a taste of what I'm missing. I'll miss seeing everybody else so regularly, though. I'll miss them. I already do.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment