
Ok, so it was one Porsche. And, I didn't actually spin any silk, I just watched over the shoulder of someone metaphorically spinning something into beauty.
The Porsche is Adele Arakawa's...and it's brand new...and one of only 44 of its kind in the entire United States. It's a track car, and barely street legal. Bottom line, it's amazing. Bob said his ride in it today was a "life altering experience." I spent a grand total of something less than 10 minutes in it (on the way to Q'doba and back), but I have to say that I know a bit of what Bob was talking about. Granted, this has nothing to do with my career, nor does it have much bearing on my overall experience, but I felt it was worth mentioning. And that I walked into Q'doba with Adele Arakawa.
I had a lot of face time with Adele today, and even more with Bob. He has certainly become a teacher to me, and I'm glad that we've reached a level of professionalism. He is really a good guy, and I'm happy he's taken notice of me. If that says something of my character, I'm grateful.
I looked over his shoulder as he wrote a package about students from Platte Canyon High School participating in their own "Random Acts of Kindness Week." Their service is in dedication of Emily Keyes, the young girl who was killed by a "madman's bullet" earlier this fall while she was at school.
It is a really heartfelt story, and Tom Cole shot some amazing video. Bob took me through the process of writing a package (story) about something that you weren't there for, and that you didn't participate in the shooting of. We talked about the step-by-step process of putting something like this together from a writing standpoint. All of it I had seen done by Adam, Shawn, Carrie, and others...and all of which I understood. Nevertheless, I was eager to learn more, and absorb as much as I could from it--if only because I'm working on my first "real" package.
Bob said something very interesting to me after the whole process. I had thanked him for the opportunity to sit down with him, and he said it was no problem. Writing a package is something like "spinning a silk scarf from a sow's ear," and he was glad I was there to see it accomplished with him in a matter of an hour or so.
I like the comparison. It reminded me about how hard this whole writing business can be. It's a definite love-hate relationship for everyone involved. Everyone has writer's block, and everyone needs to overcome that obstacle. I certainly had it when I was working on Wolfe's L.E.D. package, and continue to have it with my most recent project. It's a given in the world of journalism, but nobody can take it for granted.
And that's why I love this business. It's crazy and highly stressful, but it creates the kind of conditions I love to work under. It's so interesting and a new challenge every day.
Carrie McClure and I were talking last night as we went down to Colorado Springs to spend the next seven hours of our lives...
We talked about her work experience and different jobs she's had. She is truly accomplished has great stories to tell. And, she reminded me of what I could do, and of what I wanted to do and why. This gap between politics and journalism is growing...and I'm taking journalism's side.
Nevertheless, whether it's talking with Carrie, riding in a sweet sports car, or making silk scarves out of sow's ears, my experience is only getting better.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment