Thursday, September 08, 2011

Ok, Universe. I get it.

For as long as I can remember, I have dealt with some form of a throat infection - doctors tested for strep, mono, and more often than not, came back with a nameless diagnosis that requires a regimen of antibiotics, anti-swelling meds, and some pain relievers. After a particularly difficult bout with illness over Memorial Day weekend this year, I decided it was time to admit this is ridiculous enough to see an ear, nose, and throat doctor in June. Although it's been suggested by myself or my family for as long as I can remember, a doctor finally backed up the thought that my tonsils should be removed. We double checked that feeling in August and confirmed it. In fact, my doctor was confused as to how my throat didn't hurt when we had our last appointment - my tonsils were still swollen and marked by the tell-tale signs of infection. Yet, I felt fine...

So, now the ball is in my court - I just need to schedule the appointment.

It is surgery. And it's far from home. And a myriad of other excuses have seeped into my mind over the last few weeks. I actually convinced myself the other day I could wait until March. Maybe. And I guess that thought was blasphemous enough for my incredibly, abnormally large tonsils. Thus, I started this week with a small throat irritation on the right side of my throat.

Oh, silly right tonsil. I will defeat you with continuous fluids, Emergen-c, and many, many clementines.


The pain went to my left tonsil, a notorious part of my body, by Tuesday morning.

Oh no you didn't - I can still defeat you with even more fluids, clementines AND gargling with salt water.

Then this morning seemed to show no difference. And my sinuses are stuffy, in addition to the pain in my throat. I think this is the universe's way of telling me, Yes, you really do need your tonsils out.  Unless you want to do this every few months for the rest of your life.

Now, I probably would get a break every few years, but the infections will probably get worse when they happen. And the older I get, the harder that tonsillectomy will be - although it is already a worse idea for me than it might have been 10 years ago.

Ok, Universe. I get it. I will schedule that appointment to remove these tonsils. Just take away the pain now...and help the pain of recovery to not be as bad as I am imagining it.

~MJ

No comments: