Sunday, November 08, 2009

12 more teaching days...

I don't remember being a countdown person. But, I have 12 more teaching days until Thanksgiving break. And oh, what a welcome break that will be. After Thanksgiving, it's 15 teaching days until winter break.

I had the chance to spend some time with a former DU prof in town for a conference. I didn't get to know him until I took his Civic Engagement in Schools course last spring, but I am certainly glad to know him! It was good to catch up about TFA, education reform in general, and life. He was also a reminder that all things considered, all is well (and worthwhile) in Tulsa teaching-land.

I have a lot of work to get done still tonight, but I just wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that this job isn't getting any easier, and the countdowns are saving my sanity, I am glad to be doing what I'm doing. There is a lot of room for improvement for me and for my kids. But, we're on this ship together and I'm glad for it.

Thanksgiving will be a bit different this year. So much has changed and this is one of those things that must, too. I haven't been home for Thanksgiving since 2006, so that won't be weird. Right now, it may be that Sam gets to come to Tulsa and we can celebrate with the corps members that are in town. If that doesn't end up being the plan, I may end up in Dallas with my roommate to celebrate with her family. Texas is like another country, so that would fit the tradition started in Ireland in 2007;-)

We'll see. The point is, it's almost here! And, as glad as I am to have the job I have and to be doing the work I'm doing, my goodness -- the break will be amazing.

~MJ

No comments: