My first school picture in four years. Too bad it was on a bad-hair day. And, now it will be in the teacher section of the yearbook. Life sure does take its interesting turns, huh?Wow, I'm a teacher.
Last week was a bad teaching week for me. I felt incompetent, sometimes incapable, and mostly confused. I was out of it.
I talked a good game with my kids on Friday, October 23. "I'm not saying it's going to be easy," I recited a quote that appears throughout the school. "I'm saying it's going to be worth it." Thank you, Art Williams.
I gave myself a kick in the butt sometime between Saturday's professional development and Monday morning (with a little help from a special colleague).
This week was far form perfect. But, it was good. It was a good teaching week. I had great moments with students, and saw some marked progress in their work and attitude. Today's theme in the 8th grade was, "The truth hurts." Their notice of their grades from the week (many of them very low) did hurt. I let them wallow and tried to channel them into productive reflection (which did happen). I gave them some time with their thoughts. They even got some "free time," but were so wrapped up in the moment they almost didn't realize it. Then, we got right back to work, and they managed it.
My 6th grade class ran on a timetable. They were mad at me yesterday because I gave them a time limit on an assignment and stuck to it. Today, everything was a countdown. EVERYTHING. To the point where they were counting down with me. It was one of the more productive days I've had with them, and they mostly handled it well. We even managed to talk about costumes and Halloween.
My 7th grade class is my challenge. There are bright spots -- like one of my non-advanced student studying hard for his re-take test and improving his score almost 30 points (he went from a 57 to an 82). When he is in a bad mood, which can happen at the turn of a hat, he doesn't work. Today, he walked in with a frown and I thought I knew what I was in for. He surprised me though. He did all of his work, even through the pouting. It's just too bad everyone in the class didn't have the same work ethic. Or respect to stay quiet. We're getting there, but it's a rocky road to respect. It will happen.
This is the class that just got a DonorsChoose project funded (wohoo!), which was a nice boost to the good teaching week. I'm hoping that going through the DonorsChoose thank-you process will help me get this class on track. I have a good feeling about it, I just know it won't be easy. But, based on that students' success this week, I know it will be worth it.
Tonight was the first dance at my school in three or four years. Many of my 8th graders acted like they wouldn't make it, "it's going to be dumb" was all I heard from them all week. It was good to see all of them out there tonight, though. It was one of the first times I haven't seen so many of the students together and not misbehaving. They looked happy. They even taught me "the jerk" which is a dance that is basically backwards skipping. I feel like it's really rooted in Irish step, but they wouldn't believe me if I told them that.
It was great to see them in such a positive, out-of-class situation. I took lots of pictures on my cell phone, which will be printed and made into a collage to put in my room. Savoring those moments will be good.
It's at the end of a week like this that I am happy to be where I am and doing what I am doing. I can't say I was in the same mental venue last week, but I'm happy to know that I gave myself a "truth hurts" reality check and got back into the game. If I ask so much of my kids, why can't I ask the same of myself? They teach me so much more than they know in these ways.
Middle school. I'm happy to be back. It's not easy, but it's worth it.
~MJ
1 comment:
Eme, it was so good to talk to you! If you ever need to talk (about school, or ANYTHING else you can think of) you know where to find me. Well... not really. I mean this is one of the largest cities in the world, and I don't stand out quite like I did in El Salvador.... but anyway amiga, I'm there for you! Suerte!!
Post a Comment