Saturday, June 13, 2009

There still isn't enough time in the day.

Graduation from college was bittersweet: bitter in knowing of the end of days as an undergraduate Pioneer, sweet in the feeling of triumph over the obstacles of my background. It came very quickly, and like ripping off a Band-Aid, left a little sting even through the relief of being freed from some degree of bondage.

So much has happened since I last really wrote in this blog. So much, in fact, that the little time I have for writing today will hardly do justice to the events of Spring 2009. Hopefully, as this blog continues, I will be able to throw in some anecdotes related to: my final quarter of classes, being "Speaker of the House" in my US Congress class simulation, the bike project as a roller coaster, Mayor Hickenlooper's recognition of Zoee and my work, ending a great year in Senate, receiving departmental and school-wide honors, touring all of the towers of DU with the University Architect...

And now, reveling in the comfort of having a job. After being wait-listed for over a month, I am one of the 4100 people, out of 35,000 applicants, accepted as a Teach for America Corps member. I will be teaching middle school English in Tulsa, Oklahoma, beginning in the fall, for at least the duration of my two-year commitment.

"Comfort" is a relative term. Although graduation was a day of celebration, and the day after (a Sunday), a day of rest, I have been walking the fine line of enjoying my summer while preparing, all-too-abruptly, to move. I'm officially leaving my apartment in Denver at the end of next week, only to spend a week in Tulsa, then I'm off to New York for summer training. Then, I'm back to Denver for only a brief moment, only to leave, with my little "Hi-Ho Silver" Corolla, back to Tulsa. By then, it will be August, and I will be working to be the best I can be for my students.

What a rush.

In the meantime, I have lots of pre-NY Institute work to do (lots of reading), not to mention the packing and the moving...
of course, I am also expending energy on crossing my fingers hoping that my apartment is rented to someone else before July...
and, for the first time in a long time, feeling like I should be able to read for pleasure. After four years of sparingly doing so and earning a four-year degree built on the pages on not-so-pleasurable reading, I feel it is my right to do so. I even splurged at Barnes and Noble and on Amazon and I got books for graduation. All looking to be wonderful reads.

Some that speak to my political interests, some that speak to my interest in sustainability. I even have some memoirs and non-fiction on brilliant teachers and their students beating the odds. EVEN BETTER -- I have FICTION! From Paulo Coelho to my new venture in Romance novels, the books are begging for me to rip through them. Leisurely, of course, as I sit by the pool, drink water, and bask in the glory of sunshine and crisp pages.

It has been a struggle to resist the urging of these books, if only to read my coursework for TFA. That is what I will leave this blog to do -- go sit by the pool, sip some water, and tear through "Teaching as Leadership" and "Instructional Planning and Delivery," among other reads about culture, diversity, achievement, community, and classroom management. This is good and, if anything, will promote my fervored excitement about Tulsa. It will also give me that education in education I need to actually be a teacher. It will help with that big jump, right into a brand new world in a brand new city with a brand new job.

In reality, too, my other books will still be there when I'm done. And maybe someday, after being able to adequately update this blog, there will be enough time in my ever-increasingly booked days to read some enriching (and maybe not-so-enriching), not-necessary-professional-or-educational-life books.

Until next time, happy summer.

And, here's to the jump,

~MJ

PS, there are lots of new pictures from my road/camping trip to South Dakota over Memorial Day weekend and the amazing tower tour on Picasa. Enjoy!

No comments: