My latest internship at 9News is focused solely on political coverage. I recently helped put together the DNC planning guide for the station and have once again started Truth Testing along with other reporters.
As you may or may not know, 9News has a special election feature every season that takes any political ads airing on the 9News networks and puts them to the test of truth, at least when the ads make claims that are testable. Many times, these tests are in regard to negative campaign ads that attack different candidates. Sometimes, especially when we still have a while to go before an election, candidates shy away from the attacks and focus on their biographies. Still, Truth Tests are abound!
This election season is especially competitive and ads are already a big deal, even though we are still 4-5 months out from the general election.
I did my first Truth Test two weeks ago, an an ad paid for by Wil Armstrong. He's a candidate in the Republican primary in the 6th Congressional District here in CO, the seat currently filled by Tom Tancredo. The complete Truth Test, which went up on the web and on air while I was at SHIFT, can be found here: http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=95848.
More Truth Tests are coming! I finished one today regarding another Armstrong ad, and I'm sure there will be many more to come! I'll post them as they appear on 9News.com.
This is why I love political journalism, by the way.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment