#1: I do want to alert everyone to my added link on the right-hand side; REGISTER TO VOTE! is something I added to encourage people to vote during this historic election season. I linked to the ROCK THE VOTE website because they have solid resources, are nonpartisan, and they include a way to register on their site. Woohoo!
#2: I was elected as a voting member on the University Sustainability Council! Wohoo^2!
#3: Although SHIFT was great, it did have its down moments. Specifically, the SHIFT week started off with a loss. It was not a personal one, or even anything related to Bill Daniels, but it was something that hit me.
Former White House Press Secretary Tony Snow died at the age of 53 July 12. He had also been a broadcaster. Snow's job in the White House, of which he retired from last fall, was not enviable. In fact, I could even find myself confusing him with what he had to deliver to the media from the top. In meeting Mr. Snow last summer, however, and after learning more about the Press Secretary's job over the course of my education, I learned to separate him as a person from his job. Succinctly, I learned not to attack the messenger. We may have not been best friends politically, but I saw him as one of the more respectable people in that position, especially considering some of his predecessors.
The words that do come to mind about Tony Snow's last job are: poised, efficient, and tough. He left the job briefly to fight his cancer; throughout that ordeal, and after his return to office, I heard he remained tough as nails and soft at heart. My boss at C-SPAN told me that when he came back to the Press office, he was surrounded by well wishes and greetings from all across the nation; although he was exhausted, and usually taking time out his work day to nap and restore his energy, he still felt obligated to respond to everyone. And he did.
When I met Mr. Snow, I was a dinky intern in a brand new press room. One of the first press conferences in the remodeled room had just finished, and with it came little humor from either side of the podium. Still, he greeted me with a warm smile and nice handshake, and showed genuine interest in my position at C-SPAN.
For that, I am thankful.
I was sad to see him leave the White House, and when I heard the news last Saturday, sad that I hadn't known more about him. But, I'm glad I had the opportunity when I did. It's just another reminder that life can be fleeting, that change can be abrupt and unexpected, and that making the most of experiences and the people that surround me is ever more important.
Thanks, Tony.
Also see my blog from last July. Oddly enough, I met the then Press Secretary almost a year, to the day, before his death. The Picasa album from that day will be running as a pseudotribute for at least the next few days.
I am very proud, also, to have this:
No comments:
Post a Comment