Wednesday, September 13, 2006

College

* So, I am still in love with college. I doubt I would ever fall out of love with college, but I just want to make sure I reiterate my feelings as much as possible for three more years, if only to make sure college keeps a high self-esteem.

I love living in the dorms; I have an excellent roommate, and we now share an excellent, large room with three closets, one bookshelf, play dough, and electronics to keep the distraction gods kicking. We also have a kitchen, filled with cereal, juices of all colors, bagels, whipped cream cheese, and blue, purple and silver plastic-wear to avoid the purchase of dish soap. And we have dish soap, just because Ashley likes to do the dishes.

The only thing that is stressing me out is class. Lots of work, so little time (especially when you love college more than work). Here's the deal with my classes for fall quarter:

Intermediate French
What am I doing? Why French? Not only because they were right, I'm just downright crazy. I am determined to learn a language, though, so I have now committed myself to one, two, or five hours of homework Monday-Wednesday and over weekends. Why? At least I'll know French. Right?

Hard Choices in Public Policy
Governor Dick Lamm graces this class with his presence. I'm not bitter, or pessimisstic. I was, but after the first class, I'm over it. Governor Lamm is pretty reasonable when it comes to classroom discussion and with the promotion of conflicting ideas and debate...he just wants us to read a lot, and then quiz us on the reading...which I hear is actually a killer (even if you read).

Money, Message, and the Political Process
Oh, do I love C-SPAN. I love the class, too. Five of the Spring class students are back and ready for action with Steve and Chris, as well as many people from inside the beltway in D.C. Unlike last quarter, though, there is a great deal more work...which is fine, because it's all interesting and surrounding politics and elections; it's just a lot. At least it will probably compliment my internship, and provide me an opportunity to question Sammon's reasoning for...nevermind.

So, I'm definitely in it for the long haul. And, I really am excited about my classes (it's the geek in me), I'm just already stressed (at the end of day 3) about work. But, it's good stress. And, it's college. It's the love-hate tension than makes my world an amazing place. Talk about being thankful...and in love.

~MJ

PS* The picture is of my friends John, Angie, Clay, and I, rocked out in our 80s gear as we worked first year orientation last week. The 80s are back my friends, the 80s are back.

No comments: