*
Today, I move back to the dorms for my second year at DU. I will be living with Ashley, one of my roommates from last year, on the very north part of campus. I am very excited, as Ashley and I have great plans for decorating, cooking in our kitchen, and having people over all the time. The best part: this year, we get our own closets (we shared last year in our triple).
My first year at DU was great. DU still does not live up to my expectations when it comes to Mass Communication, but I'm making the best of it. I am toying with the idea of taking on a second major in Political Science, or possibly doing a 3-2 or 4-1 program to get a Masters in....something. We'll see.
This past summer was definitely memorable, even without the traditional trips to Water World. The highlights for me were:
*My first trip to New York in late June. Sam Jones an I spent a packed 6 days and 5 nights in the city. We stayed on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, but managed to reach almost every part of the burrough by foot, train, or cab, trying to balance the tourist and anti-tourist in us. While NYC is a big place, I still found somebody that reminded me of how small the world really is: he is a cab driver/author/actor who went to DU with Condoleeza Rice back in the day!
*I worked most of the rest of the summer at Leader's Challenge on the Summer Academy Core Team. I planned the annual Jared Polis Summer Academy for our juniors, as well as the first annual Global Academy for our seniors. It was exhausting, but well worth the effort! Academy is always good times...and working at LC is the best. I also worked Summer Academy II this past weekend, which turned out awesome.
Upcoming Adventures include:
*My second year at DU, obviously. I moved back today (the 29th) to help out with Orientation. I am a Discoveries Orientation 2006 leader. We will do some training this week, and then I will head up a group of first-year students all of next week! It should be great times.
*I will be taking 16 credit hours, including a policy class with former Governor Dick Lamm, year two of French, and a distance-learning C-SPAN class (again!) with Steve Scully. Watch C-SPAN 3 for me, or just check out http://www.c-span.com/distance_learning
*I was appointed Vice President of Community Service for the new National Society of Collegiate Scholars chapter at DU. It's like the college version of NHS...kind of.
*I was also elected Publicity Chair of DU Young Democrats, and I plan to make the position less partisan than it sounds.
*I am also working with Peace Jam on trying to be a mentor for this year's PeaceJam conference.
The most exciting news of all is also included in my class schedule. Four of my credit hours will be dedicated to a new job...
I applied to two news internships at stations in the area. I was offered both positions, but due to specific circumstances, chose to take a General News Internship at 9News!
Because this is a midterm election year, I wanted to take a position that offered me the most in terms of political reporting. As a result, I will hopefully be spending the bulk (if not all) of my 24-32 hour work week with 9News Legislative Reporter Adam Schrager, covering the midterm elections. Most of my job will entail maintaining the Decision 2006 website, helping Adam with stories, and researching to truth-check political ads. After election day, I will probably move to a rotation around the news room, learning from all the departments and trying my hand at various things. I start on September 15th!
That's my life for the moment. It's pretty sweet...can't really complain.
Until next time,
best wishes.
~MJ
*Picture by Me; Strawberry Fields, tribute to John Lennon in Central Park, New York, New York. 2006.

No comments:
Post a Comment