So, I had my first day at 9News today. It was one of the most excellent days of my life. Granted, I didn't do a great deal, but I definitely fit well into the newsroom, and did my job as it was to be done.
I hopped into the middle of the "afternoon meeting," which was awkward because of the man who this blog was started for, and because I walked in during the middle. I could only really pick up on some of the things they were referring too, so that was interesting.
I started at the Assignment Desk, answering phones, writing facts for the assignment database, fielding info about e. coli, transferring calls, finding phone numbers, tracking down individuals, holding calls, asking questions, answering phones, and checking on tips. I can't say that the desk is my favorite place to be, but it wasn't as bad as one would expect...even with the crazy caller(s). It did, however, make the afternoon meeting more understandable.
I think my proudest moment in this part of my day was fielding the call from the State Health Department updating us on suspected e. coli cases from the bagged spinach. The updates I receieved were utilized in the night's broadcasts, and I was able to yell the info to a web producer and reporter from across the newsroom...in true newsroom form, of course.
I then had a break from the assignment desk upon which time I went to Adam. He introduced me to various folks, and then had me call some of the candidates for this election and schedule them to record stump speeches at the station. He gave me around seven calls, told me that that was too much, and didn't realize the number of calls I made for LC. Either way, I scheduled two candidates, and basically left messages with or briefed other campaigns...in about 20 minutes. It was a good feeling to be done, if only because Adam was pleased, the relieving me for dinner.
He also gave me a bit of research to do on the upcoming Perlmutter/O'Donnell debate to find points of "distinction" between the two. I'll brief him on Thursday.
I had some Q'doba, caught up on e-mail, and then headed back to the desk. Before I did so, I found a nice note from Adam thanking me for my help, asking for some info, and telling me to talk with him about what I really want to do with the election coverage. Yay:-)
At the desk, I found some information for some producers, learned a cool map tool on the computer, and typed in a press release that was used for the night's broadcasts. I also answered more crazy caller calls. A photographer then came to the desk saying he was headed home after doing a couple live-shots, then pointed to me, and said: "You. You're coming with me."
I got approval from my desk supervisor, grabbed my notebook and pen, and headed to Aurora with one of the coolest people I have met so far. He was really nice, funny, and had some great stories about his experience. We also talked about college and his experience with ASU (similar to mine with Emerson), and his subsequent education at UNC and CSU. He also had nothing but good things to say about 9News...a station he also interned at as a college student.
We then met an engineer and reporter at the Aurora Police Department, set up for a live-shot at 9, and shivered (it was cold!). I sat in the truck with the engineer for the shot, listening to the producer and ensuring the signal was working. It was a bit of work for a minute of TV. When it was over, the photographer came to the truck and the reporter went to her car. We sat around for about an hour waiting for the 10 o'clock live-shot.
In that process, I learned about editing (linear v. non-linear), as well as heard some comments about the disadvatages of the KUSA/KTVD duopoly when it comes to timing and news. We also talked more about college, and more about experience in the field, as well as just how much money it costs to run a television station. It was a great conversation, and I was so happy to have been there for it.
I watched the next live shot from the truck again, although I got an earpiece that allowed me to hear what the reporter hears when she is reporting, and learn all the lingo associated with that and shots. Then, after another minute of TV, we packed up. I headed back in the truck with the engineer as the photographer was not going back to the station.
It was great. The engineer was fun to talk to, too. It was great to leave the station for a bit...and the phones.
I got back and the station was pretty much dead. The 10 was wrapping up, and most people had left, with the exception of the morning producers and the cleaning crew. It was weird to see the station at such a silence, with only the hum of a vacuum instead of the sound of multiple voices overlapping and interrupting one another.
I think the things I'm going to have to get used to are asking questions, being on the phone with great surrounding distraction and little cap on the noise factor. I also will have to find my way to work with Adam more and see more of the field.
As for now, I'm loving it. I am working with Adam on an event that will be at DU next week, and for at least part of my shift on Wednesday, I'll be back at the Assignment Desk. Friday will be my morningside shift...so, hello 4 a.m.
It'll be good, though. Really good.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment