No Teach For America first-year teacher was cut because they are on a contract. And some of them live high off the hog in trendy midtown lofts provided to them in sweetheart deals. And they are not staying. After their two year stint is done they will go back to their Ivy-League life, having "done their bit" in Flyover Country. Meanwhile, teachers like Ms. Modglin, who have made a commitment to the citizens and children of Tulsa Public Schools have been left hung out to dry. This is so very, very unfair. It sure would have been a h**l of a lot easier to teach at Jenks or Union or Broken Arrow to start with.
Message to Tulsa Public Schools: Break the d**m contract with Teach For America and give jobs to out own.
PS: Why does Teach for America need their own building over by Bell Elementary?
Message to Tulsa Public Schools: Break the d**m contract with Teach For America and give jobs to out own.
PS: Why does Teach for America need their own building over by Bell Elementary?
Sigh. I don't need to write my "Why I Teach for America" blog again, but I really hope this Tulsan reads it. We are committed to our kids, and to this city, and to the broader movement to make sure every child receives an excellent education.
The 2010 corps begins its "Round Zero" today, planning for their classrooms in Tulsa. And a new corps should be coming in 2011. We're here, and we'll continue to be here for our kids.
And, the Bell Elementary office holds the TFA Tulsa staff and a tremendous resource center for teachers and students, not only to help us professionally develop, but also to provide great materials, ideas, and other resources for our kids.
By the way, I heard back from both the Yes on 744 and the Stop 744 campaigns. Both seem very open and willing to answer my questions. I am reading up some more and preparing some questions, but I know that I will certainly ask how any new money for education in the next three years will affect teacher allocations. The layoffs in TPS this year were heartbreaking...to repeat that process would certainly not be good for our kids.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment