Friday, February 19, 2010

Middle School is so cool

Who wouldn't want to go to a school with a classroom dedicated to model trains and another with pen pals from across an ocean?

It's always a struggle to find something that will keep the attention of middle schoolers. Ever notice that? Maybe it's their hormones, their growing pains, or just their friends...but, middle school is a tough time.

The New York Times had a great section on middle schools in 2007, mostly focusing on how chaotic, discombobulated, and difficult the middle years can be. They hit the nail on the head with these stories about high-stakes testing, hormonal adolescents and the haired teachers that try to manage it all.

The thing is, I knew this stuff going into the job. Or, at least I expected craziness. Why? I couldn't tell you exactly, other than I knew I was in middle school once. I really enjoyed the experience. Thankfully, that enjoyment didn't come at the expense of my education, but it did center around awkward, annoying, and downright silly tendencies (notes exchanged with a friend in 7th grade: "Dear Sonja, how are the pigs? The chickens are fine. www.scottisweirddrmacihatehayespigsandchickens.com" WHAT? Right.).

I hang out with some of the most amusing kids in the world, suffering from "middle child syndrome." I don't even know what that actually means, other than my kids are in the dead center of the education. They don't know exactly how they got into it all, but don't see an immediate end in sight, and they are growing up in the process. And for that, I forgive them their awkwardness and embrace the chaos (most of the time).

What I really notice is that while they will buckle down to structure and get great work done in "traditional" ways (from books, lectures, etc), they are much more gracious, grateful, and accepting when something different is thrown into the mix...something unexpected...something that grabs their attention.

The 6th grade was treated to a model train set-up, the size of their geography classroom, to end out this week. During geography and science, they did worksheets about trains in the science lab, and in small groups, were "shepherded" across the hall.

They were tasked with walking around the elaborate model with multiple trains running and even more happening around the tracks. As they walked, they were to list 5 "scenes" from around the track and 1 detail to describe that scene. Example: there is a bank robbery right off the track. The cop cars outside have flashing lights.

For a bonus, they could ask the model's operators, members of the Green Country Model Railroader's Association, questions like, "How were trains used in history?" and "What is a sand tower?"

I had been talking with the 6th grade geography teacher (the organizer) about what they should be doing while they saw the model (because middle school students must always have something to do). I thought of the interview thing, and while we liked it, we weren't sure the 6th graders would have the social skills/courage to talk to these retired old men who build model trains as a hobby. We also weren't sure that there would be more than two men with the train at any time, and if they really wanted to talk to the kids (they were initially very hesitant to take an expensive model train set to a middle school).

Both ends of the spectrum surprised us. The kids were inquisitive and the operators were friendly and gratefully shared their knowledge. They even prodded the kids to ask more questions, and the kids really rose to the occasion.

My only disappointment was that I left my camera battery at home! So, no pictures from my camera. There were some pictures taken by the librarian, and I used the geography teacher's camera to take some...but I hate to claim them because they were so bad! I am telling myself that the train folks will be back next year and I will carry a back-up battery just in case!

After I spent some time with them during my plan and then had my own lessons to teach, I received a package addressed to my 6th grade scholars. It was full of letters from my friend Tonya's 11 and 12 year-old students in Spain, whom she is teaching English. Each letter, paired with one of my students, had a picture and explained some about the kids, where they live, and what they like to do. One of my girls even got a gift from her pen pal.

My students haven't seen the letters yet, but were excited when I told them I had a very special package with something inside of it for everyone, and that it was from Europe! We would be able to practice some writing skills...but be international in doing so! They were stoked!

Getting them to write a letter...well, to write anything, is like pulling teeth on some days. This new, different motivator is one that I feel will help that change for them.

Man, I wish I had been a 6th grader today. Trains, Spanish pen pals...

And guess what? Oh my goodness, I might have even learned something.

I love middle school. You give these kids a chance (the right chances), they'll completely make your day.

~MJ

No comments: