I spent most school days last week at school until after 5pm. Then, I enjoyed professional development at school for the first half of Saturday, had lunch with a colleague, and then spend the afternoon watching 4 hours of boys basketball (supporting our Raiders!). While I took a break from work to see Shutter Island with many of my TFA and school friends on Saturday night (good movie), I got up this morning and hit the ground running with productivity.
Just today, I have logged most of the letters from the Spanish students (for posterity) on my computer, made a trip to Borders to get some bargain materials -- an atlas, travel guide, and Spanish language practice set (to fill the knowledge gap about the world my students have), and enjoyed the afternoon into the evening at the coffee house planning and preparing lessons for the week.
I still have so much to do! I spent a lot of time preparing the Discover! unit for the Spanish pen pal project, but have the beginnings of lesson plans for the 7th and 8th grade for the remainder of the week. I need to refine those lessons and make sure I have the materials (tomorrow night will be a big night of scanning and printing).
In them midst of it all, I also took a few moments (at lunch today) to read one of two books I purchase for my "payday presents" this month:
Rick Steves, famed travel writer, published a narrative last year: "Travel as a Political Act." It is basically about taking advantage of the knowledge that can be gained by traveling, and how that can shape one's worldview, and what it can be used for when the trip ends.
It has an amazing section on El Salvador, which addresses all of the service and political aspects of my trip there in 2008 (see those entries here and on Project El Salvador's blog). It was incredible to read about how some of his experiences with and responses to the social and political aspects of that country are so similar to mine.
Speaking of travel, I am so excited for my trip to Buenos Aires, Argentina in March. Only 15 more teaching days until I embark on the journey! I am so bitten by the travel bug at the moment...
Argentina in March. A quick trip to Miami in April for CGI U 2010. A weekend trip to Denver to do some reminiscing in Ranum's last year. Back to Denver in June for leadership-related activities. And, I am talking with some colleagues about a cruise and/or road trip in July.
In that vein, I was so drawn to the travel section today at Borders. I picked up the Rick Steves book knowing I would immediately click with it. I also saw and couldn't resist Michael Crichton's memoir, "Travels."
I am just embracing my life at the moment...work and travel. I am so motivated to do it all...and I am getting it done! This is the most energy and vigor I have felt since college. I am kicking adult life into gear...in the real world!
~MJ
1 comment:
This post makes me so happy. Not only because I am super excited for you to come visit, and for us to have a wonderful week in Buenos Aires, but also that even in a blog I can hear the excitement and enthusiasm in your voice. Congrats!! I'm glad to hear such a positive change! Keep it up, Eme!!
Post a Comment