
"Whenever I get gloomy about the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion would make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed. But I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there. Fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."
~The Prime Minister, Love Actually
This year, I didn't happen to cross paths at Heathrow Airport. But, love still welcomed me across the world -- in San Salvador, El Salvador.
As I sit in snowy, cold, Denver, Colorado, I am at once warmed by the thought and lonely for the hugs of my boys in Altos de Jardines. Coming home was certainly bittersweet -- seeing the ones I love and leaving the others I love mix up feelings and emotions in strange ways.
For now, I only have pictures left of Bryan and Ronaldo and the youth of the Altos community.
This time, I ran after the van as they drove off with Douglas, and my heart sank as traffic moved them on from me.
These aren't even a fraction of the pictures I have, or will soon have, from the experience of the last two perfect days in El Salvador. I also have a bracelet from Bryan, and sunglasses that match Ronaldo's new shades.
And I have the wonderful memories of them and our short time together. If only that last day at San Roque could have gone on forever.
Remember that movie, What Dreams May Come? Well, my heaven would include the beautiful escape of San Roque, with all of us, for a moment, forgetting what happened last week, and relishing in the perfect weather and special company.
Or just another day, free of armed protection and time limits, in Altos.
In the meantime, I'll just remember the love. And cherish it.
~MJ
"Some of you young folks have been sayin to me 'hey pops, what you mean, what a wonderful world? How bout all them wars all over the place -- you call them wonderful? And how about hunger and pollution? They ain't so wonderful, either.' How bout listenin to ol pops for a minute. Seems to me it ain't the world that's so bad, but what we are doin' to it. And all I'm saying is see what a wonderful world it would be if we'd only give it a chance. Love, baby, love. That's the secret. If lots more people loved each other, we'd solve lots more problems...that's what ol pops keeps sayin." ~Louis Armstrong
No comments:
Post a Comment