Sunday, December 14, 2008

Central American Sentiments

It´s been quite the weekend -- we went from El Salvador to Guatemala to Honduras over the span of three days.

Overall, I have decided that I love C.A. and I will miss it dearly (especially ES). This is such a beautiful part of the world that I wish to see more of.

Guatemala and Honduras, at least the two cities we visited (Esquipulas, G and Copan, H), are very rich with indigenous culture and a sense of great history. We happened to be in Guate, just for lunch, on the day of the Virgin Guadelupe, so we saw some very rich traditions, especially related to dress, in action.

We spent the bulk of our free weekend in Copan, a city famous for being on the edge of the ancient Mayan empire. I saw some of the most fantastic ruins I have ever seen, and also enjoyed the quaint town with cobblestone streets and native flavors.

I also realized that, as we embark on the last week of our time in ES, how much I will miss the people around me. What will I do, come Saturday, Dec. 20, without Douglas? Or my DU group? Or my mejores amigos from Altos?

In the quiet moments of this weekend, I was left with these thoughts -- some of which were expressed in reflections among our group members. Suffice it to say, no words are enough to express just how I feel about it all.

We´ll see what Saturday brings -- in the meatime, I`m looking forward to the week ahead. We will be rejoining the AdJ community (hopefully in Altos itself), continuing our dicussion about lastw week´s events, and conducting our official cultural exchange.

The memories will surely be significant...and hopefully, long lasting. And, I know this week won´`t necessarily be the end of my time in Central America. Or, at least that´s the hope.

-MJ

No comments: