Wednesday, November 19, 2008

From Ireland to...Here...and then there!




Last year about this time I was working on my final papers in Ireland, but it was like a leisurly, relaxing stroll compared to what I just did for finals at DU. I think I ultimately wrote more in Ireland, but I had a month. I just wrote a 21-page seminar paper on arts in the New Deal, a nine-page foreign policy recommendation for Obama/Biden, and a six-page reflection piece for my service learning class. The best news that comes out of all of this (besides that I am done!) is that I will be leaving the country in 36 hours (almost exactly)!

That's really all I have to say at the moment. I'm kind of worded out, and I want to sleep before my day-before-traveling crazy errands. 

If I don't make it to this blog before I leave, I do want to let you know that I will have sporadic access to email and the internet from the B/B we'll be at. The limited access may not make me available for my usual travel blogging, but there will be a class blog-like production on the DU ISL web site. I'm not sure about the details on when/how/what will be posted, but there should be some pictures and words about our travels every so often. I also will not have my phone, so email is the best form of communication!

The least you need to know right now is that I will be staying in San Salvador and working with a community center, nicknamed Circulo. We'll be working with youth in the community on cleaning up their neighborhoods, increasing environmental awareness, and exchanging cultures. Our main goal is to encourage the kids to keep their communities clean, to stay in school, and to go to college.

When we aren't volunteering, we'll be traveling around the country, hearing some lectures at a major university, and going to the beach! 

:-D

A picture of most everyone in our group is above (minus two students and our teachers). 

If I don't get a chance to do much blogging here, I will be keeping a journal so there will definitely be some after-the-fact blogging in December. 

Have a great Thanksgiving and holiday season; once again, I'll be home for Christmas!

~MJ



PS Regardless of where I go, I always love Colorado. I'll miss it! Here's a fall photo from Wash Park, down the street from my apartment in Denver:-)

No comments: