Saturday, April 26, 2008

springtime and changing pace

Spring quarter is more than in full swing, and I'm feeling it: between the reading and writing, I wish college didn't involve homework. Still, I'm trying to keep up and balance myself with some extracurriculars, time with others, and time to myself.

Last weekend was spent with Rande in Columbus, Ohio, her college abode. Co
lumbu
s may not sound all that exciting, but I wouldn't tell that to the tens of thousands of Ohio State fans in the area. I'm glad I had a red and white t-shirt on hand to at least make it look like I am a Buckeye! It was a great weekend with an even better friend; it was awesome to see her digs and meet all of her college friends. Throughout the weekend, we were found playing games, riding the courtesy shuttle for far too long, checking out the OSU gym, avoiding the Spring Game, talking, and eating. We had a fabulous dinner in honor of my belated birthday at Buca di Beppo...oh, what a time.

This weekend has been more for myself. Mom's out of town so I have the place to myself and am able to relax and procrastinate on that homework. I'm really needing this moment so I can unwind fr
om the week; Thursday was especially busy with lots of stuff on campus.

I began my day with two of my classes, followed by coffee with Tomas. We chatted for a bit as we also ran some errands, but parted at 3 so he could finish something before class and so that I could go pack care-packages for the troops on the Driscoll Lawn. Organized by the College Republicans the event was the culmination of "Support the Troops" week on campus. I didn
't buy into the politics, but the packing was fun and worthwhile; hopefully all of the stuff is put to good use.

From there, I found myself helping to set up a progressive Iraq-war Tent City Teach-In, just a few yards from where the care packaging was happening. It was an overnight event organized by some of the progressive groups on campus as both a protest to the war and an opportunity for education and awareness about our role in it. This was definitely the most politically active event I've seen at DU, and even though I didn't stay for it, I thought it was a great idea. I helped set up a tent, but ended up going away after an hour to go work out with some friends.

We ended up in the "Core-uption" c
lass at the fitness center, working out on balance balls an with weights. It was intense, especially for my first work-out in a couple of weeks. 25 minutes later, the class ended; however, my muscles felt like they ran a marathon. The teacher looked really familiar to me; lo and behold, she was one of the producers from a local news station that interviewed me for an internship a few years ago! She has since quit the corporate world and is freelancing, balancing that schedule with teaching fitness classes at DU. Go figure! Small world...

I then went, with my friends from the gym, to the
Tranny Road Show. It was a talent show of sorts put on by transgender individuals and was and was the capstone event to DU's "Day of Silence" (a day ahead of the national day for purposes of participation). That was a roller-coaster of an experience; in the hour and a half I spent at the two hour show (I had to leave to go watch LOST at Leslie's), I went from laughter to tears, rapt attention to bewilderment. It was educational and entertaining, but quite the culture shift.

What I learned in the last six hours on campus on Tuesday, though, I think is pretty profound. 1) I found myself comfortable in two completely opposite political settings; members of both groups had comments about the other that were less-than-favorable. However, I was able to keep out of that and just focus on the task, all the while knowing that both groups were not acting in opposition to one anoth
er, just working on different issues (there is a difference between the troops and the war). I found that I have reached a place in my life where I can step out of politics and still be around for a cause; where I can separate myself from my own politics and see the greater good. This also made me wish more organizations on campus could learn such a lesson.
2) Changing events so quickly wasn't just about adjusting to a new environment, it was about changing my mind-set and mentally adapting to that environment. I started packing care packages and ended up part of a conversation about gender and orientation. This is a huge leap and I learned my min
d was able to handle it fairly smoothly.

It was a crazy Thursday, on top of a very busy week. The week ahead looks no less interesting; I'm exploring some apartments, interviewing for a potential summer job, and working on sustainability stuff.

Right now, though, I'm just relaxing. I've kicked up the pace this quarter because the air is warmer and I'm much more comfortable in my environment; sometimes, however, I just need to slow down and relax. Welcome to the weekend.

Oh, and then there's that homework...5 more weeks...

~MJ


Pictures: #1 is on the OSU campus, Rande and I sporting Cork fashion; #2 is in the Detroit Airport, during one of my layovers there, and no, I did nothing to edit the color; #3 is a sunset I shot on my way off of campus last week. These (and more) will eventually be on picasa, once my google uploader and mac computer get along:-D

No comments: