Sunday, September 16, 2007

myth week, last week

The week ahead is the last of the Early Start program. As soon I as I realize that I need to get working on my two exam papers (1500/paper) and register for classes, I may just figure out I'm here to study.

Early Start involved homework and involves assessment, but all of the traveling and reading great books didn't really make it feel like school. I am going to miss it, although I'm excited about getting into some other course and being an all-around Geek...Irish style, of course.

This week will be focused on Irish Mythology and literature in the Irish language. We have Friday off to allow for time to go to the Academic Walk-About. It's a kind of carnival of academica, with representatives from all of the University departments to inform students of their courses and "timetables." You see, what makes this interesting is that while classes start a week from tomorrow, nobody actually has to register for classes for another three weeks!

I will hopefully be doing a day trip this weekend before the term starts, but otherwise, Cork's the place to be for a bit.

It's good that I love it.

Speaking of Cork, I ventured to the English market on Saturday with friends. It's "Cork's Food Emporium" and is loaded with stalls of fresh fruits, vegetables and meats. It's very much a farmer's market and is more often a better deal than the grocery stores. I purchased a big bag of potatoes and carrots.

On Friday, I found a creature comfort that I think I will enjoy having around for the semester. My friends and I went to a movie theatre. It mainly plays American films, and we saw "1408" with John Cusak. I had a moment in the movie where I felt like I was in America and then suddenly realized I wasn't. It was not a shock, but made me realize how much I do miss home. We decided we'd go to the movies more often, just for the comfort of it. With a lack of Starbucks and no American football, I guess we must cling to the other guilty pleasures we're used to in the States.

So, that was my weekend. And the week up ahead will be brilliant, I'm sure.

~MJ

PS I updated my photobucket somewhat.

PPS Ireland barely beat Georgia in a Rugby World Cup game Saturday night. The past two games Ireland's played in, they've won but everyone has still been upset by it since they didn't squash the other teams. Apparently, Georgia and Namibia are like the...umm...Colorado Rockies or Washington Nationals of the Rugby world. It's understood that they lose to the big teams every time.

PPPS Cork played Kerry in the All-Ireland Gaelic Football final today. They lost. Everyone was shouting "Up with the Rebels!" and they most suredly went down.

PPPS The next Ireland Rugby game is a biggie...you'll probably find me in a pub on Friday night having no real grasp of what is going on in the Ireland v. France game. But, at least the players are nice to look at.

No comments: