So, here I am. Home. It's weird to define it as that since I have no permanent address here, but walking down the streets of downtown, turning familiar corners in Westminster, and taking the long way to DU have definitely affirmed this is home. I love this city. This state. It is extraordinarily gorgeous - the views, the climate, the people. The public art around town is quirky and fun (from cows, giant blue wild animals, and abstract shapes and faces...) and it's been nice to be reacquainted with Denver's character by looking at it.
By the way, I'm here as an intern. I'm serving as an Urban Leaders Fellow through the Office of Senator Mike Johnston (a TFA alum who is a powerhouse - SB 191 has dramatically altered education in CO). I met him at a panel at the TFA Alumni Summit this past February; he ran the high school in my neighborhood and is now a state senator representing northeast Denver. As I've discussed with many friends and colleagues, he is one of the most impressive public leaders I've ever seen. He has a strong sense of urgency, is incredibly bright, and knows how to work hard and play nice. His success in the state legislature so far has been his ability to build strong coalitions on issues that matter. As a prospective public servant, he is exactly the kind of role model and mentor I'm looking for - I just hope the short fellowship is not the end of my work with him!
I have been part-time in his office tackling transportation policy for the state. I am on a team of three - each of us trying to gather information about three major transportation issues. The research has helped me to become better versed in mass transit in Colorado, as well as the challenges of urban sprawl, congestion, and economic development. Surprisingly, our team's may also lead to some exciting things for Colorado in the future.
The other half of my time is spent with Oakwood Homes' Foundation for Educational Excellence. The Foundation has been a major partner in a turnaround project in Denver's Stapleton, Montbello, and Green Valley Ranch neighborhoods. Not only is the work steeped in education reform, but broader community change. It's an exciting project where I'm learning a lot, although a six week fellowship is definitely not enough time to truly contribute to the work in the far northeast.
When not working, I've been playing tour guide to some of my colleagues who are from outside of Denver, enjoying an excursion to Mt. Evans and Pearl Street in Boulder. As a large group, we also hit up Red Rocks. I also had a friend visit from Tulsa - when we weren't partying downtown, we drove US 36 to Estes Park to enjoy the views. and All of these "explore CO" experiences have reaffirmed my appreciation for this state and all that it has to offer. I've also had the chance to catch up with old friends and have had so many conversations about ed reform, the achievement gap, graduate school, and other aspects of social change and the future.
I'm learning so much and should spend more time writing about it. I have three short weeks left in Denver (and actually, will be headed out for five days next week to attend a conference in Chicago for my new job).
Here's hoping I start to write a little more and reflect on this tremendous experience. For now, I'm going to get back to reading my book and turn in for the night. Early meetings tomorrow and maybe even some time to write!
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment