Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mulling

I'm mulling over what the theme should be for my 2010 "Year in Review." In the meantime, I realized it's been a solid chunk of time since I've done anything on here. I've been busy teaching, reading, playing Angry Birds, and going to middle school basketball games (they are four hour events these days). I did traveling over Thanksgiving to Denver, and was just back there for Christmas (and did a second Christmas today in Oklahoma City). I've met some guys, lost some guys, and in general, am pretty confused by guys. I have adapted so well to my iPhone4 that I expect everything to use predictive text.

In November, 744 bombed (I still can't believe how bad -- you know how I felt about that bill). Oklahoma is still in national news as being a state that banned Shari'a law (although an injunction was filed and wisely implemented by a judge in November). English is the official language of state business, and I'm pretty sure we're independently minded when it comes to health insurance. The first female governor of Oklahoma, Mary Fallin, will be seated in early 2011, and her opponent, Jari Askins, is on the short list for nomination to the state supreme court. Regardless of these outcomes, I know I cast my ballot for what I believed in and I am so thankful to have done it. As I truly begin to see more and more of what the education system is in this country, I also know that that will not be the last time I will be tending to my civic responsibilities.

More transition will occur in OKC next fall, too...when TFA expands to OKC Public Schools and Putnam. We will then be referred to as "TFA-Oklahoma" instead of "TFA-Tulsa" (although, we all know where greatness began).

My last story from middle school for 2010 is:

a couple in my 6th grade class. Boy is shorter than me; girl could be an 8th grader if she wore a different uniform (aka, she's tall). They have been dating since September. I found out at a football game, and three months later, was surprised it hadn't gone through the short-lived stint that most middle school relationships do. Their school supplies, and sometimes hands and arms, are sharpie-d with names, addition signs, and equal signs to hearts. Still adorable. My 6th grade class has worked so hard and was rewarded with a party the day before break -- the most free-wheeling shenanigan I think I have ever allowed in my room. There were tons of snacks, drinks, and despite my insistence that the only music would be Manheim Steamroller, an all-out dance party to student-created beats. In the midst of this, boy gave girl a heart-shaped necklace. Not something out of a penny machine, but a legitimate, with a stone, heart necklace. The girls in the room swooned and signed; the boys were confused. But the couple? Adorable, still. We'll see how the relationship fairs in 2011. But, for the sake of everyone's hearts involved, I hope it lasts.

My 8th graders also rolled out a fabulous, 6-page student newspaper and my 7th graders did more work the week before winter break than they have since October. These are things around which I define hope these days.

Still mulling,

~MJ





No comments: