BUT, some great things are happening. I feel better prepared than last year (mostly because I am), and I have noticed a marked difference at my school already. I wouldn't say that the culture shift has come, but that it is certainly on track to coming. Most of our staff was there last year (a huge upgrade for our school), with the addition of a handful of new teachers and support staff, many of whom worked with our kids in other capacities.
In reflecting on last year, many of us, including the school leadership, approached this year differently. Now, not everything is peachy and fixed, and some mindsets (including my own), need some shifting. However, I feel much more secure in a sense that we are on the right track. That we have begun to put the right things in place.
I, for one, am committing to shifting my mindset about students and their behavioral abilities. I said this last year, but found myself even as late as 2 days ago, slipping into some negativity about students I hardly know. What I do know is that that doesn't help. My toughest kid last year, D.S., taught me this. We both survived each other and he surprised me in his reflection on what he learned. Coming into this year, I wish I had carried that with some students that aren't in my class before rushing to judgment about their ability to handle the new situation at our school. We have stronger rules and consequences, with the aim of minimizing distractions from learning. It seems that most are more strict and secure in the feeling that these procedures matter (although, we are ironing out the details and adjusting...and, it's only day 3). Still, it's easy to make judgements about how students deal with this. But, I have felt firm in my upholding of the standards, and after I caught myself in a negative track, I redirected myself to help the student more positively.
This week, my lessons are focused on getting my students used to my classroom and what I expect of them, while also investing them in my class and their education in general. On Monday, the new (adorable) 6th graders brainstormed and discussed middle school survival tips while the 7th and 8th graders looked over my syllabus, talked about their goals, and got used to my room's new look (instead of tables, there are desks; more color (as if it were possible), and a very clean floor).
Yesterday, all classes read and dissected President Obama's speech on education and for homework read and dissected another Obama speech. Today, we walked through a lesson on malleable intelligence and my scholars articulated the difference between a "fixed" and "growth" mindset (per Carol Dweck). My favorite part of today is that although the lesson was planned to be the same for every class, all were dramatically different. We followed the same routines, but the discussions varied, their responses were diverse, and the way I got them to meet today's objectives were wildly different. I found myself thinking about questions to push them toward where I wanted them to be that I could not have imagined even getting near in a lesson plan. Still, I felt polished and confident and brought them to an understanding I think they were even surprised to reach.
They all got homework that was an extension of today. And, after my "homework talks" in each class, I think they realized just how serious I will be about HW this year. Almost 100 percent of my 7th graders turned in their HW today, with one girl who left it in her locker. To make the point about being prepared and meeting deadlines, I still docked her points on the final HW grade (not many, but enough to let everyone know I am serious). My 6th graders, who are still getting used to middle school routines, had varied reasons for not having their HW: "I left it in my locker...I forgot it...I didn't think it was homework...I was confused." They got consequences for not having completed HW, but got a chance to do it tonight ON TOP OF their other homework from me (with points docked for lateness). My 8th graders were a mixed bag, but seemed to get that I was serious and not going to lower the bar just because they are at the top of the heap already. While that class is still my toughest to manage, I felt today's discussions helped us to make progress and truly understand not only our goals but how much work we have to do to achieve them.
I worked with some of the football players in their team study hall after school, helping my boys with their homework and getting some of the other boys some extra practice. They were slightly offended to not have field time, but there was a palpable sense of "oh, this whole work thing is pretty serious." One of my boys who has been the most defiant and has not done his homework at all this week, was found tearing away at it after we had a conference with the coaches and made it clear that we care about his success and that success takes effort.
I feel like if these expectations stay high and continue to push our kids in a direction we know is good for them but where most of them have never been, we can truly change their lives. And, I feel like all teachers are really a team in making it happen.
It is only Day 3, though. And growing pains are inevitable, especially at a middle school, especially at a middle school in poverty. But, here is my light at the end of the tunnel:
J.C. Remember he read the book last Thanksgiving? We had a roller coaster year. He read some more, he slacked off some, he had some moments of brilliance and some more that were opposite. His scores didn't measure up on state tests and his electives are forced remediation classes. BUT, I think it sunk in today what his situation is.
We had a good talk. He had the highest grade in my 8th grade class work yesterday, which we concluded was a direct result of his focus and hard work. He also noted that he worked better without having people around him that he would want to talk to. I also noted his state test scores, his elective situation, and his reputation. We talked about how people ask me why he is in an honors class while also going to remediation and his classmates wonder why I put up with him. It was a very blunt conversation. He normally has an argument or excuse or something to whine about in these situations. All he said was, "Wow. I never looked at it that way."
He met me for a brief after school detention and got going on his homework. I released him and had to go downstairs to monitor the front of the school. After the after school crowd died down, I noticed that he was still sitting on a bench, waiting for a ride. Normally, in these moments, he is riding his skateboard or finding some toy to play with, or just walking around, or just looking bored.
Instead, his homework was out and he was working on it. He'd take brief glances away to see if his ride was there, but he then returned right back to his work. His cousins tried to talk to him and mess around, but he just kept going. I went up to him to offer some words of praise, but before I got to it, he asked me a question. I clarified some of the homework directions, and he just kept working.
I left him at about 3:45, 25 minutes after the last bell had rung, and he was still working.
If that isn't a shift, I don't know what is.
Now, I have some more work to do.
~MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment