My last speech was as the final opposition speaker on the motion: That this house would require all prospective parents to obtain a parenting liscence by exam. I gave the speech like it was my last, as if my life as a debater depended on this one speech and this one speech alone. i wove in some humor but ended on a serious note as to why the judges should vote with the opposition, but it didn't work out that way. It worked to the extent that my opponents complimented me afterwards, that even the first proposition thought I had sufficiently sunk them in the round. It was flattering, I felt good about it, but I wasn't sure it was all the judges wanted. What I was sure about was that I was satisfied with my performance, and that's all anybody can really ask for at the end of the day.
My first trip to Dublin was focused on the competition. I felt very sick going to Ireland's capitol at 7 in the morning, and while I could focus on my novice rounds, I was mentally, emotionally, and physically out of it in between. I got my taste of European debate, and returned to the hostel early Thursday night to sleep and then return to Cork on Friday, two days ahead of schedule. I was signed up for the varsity tournament over the weekend, but threw in towel/bowed out in the name of my body and of relaxation. I think I made the right choice. Liam was able to stay and is competiting with someone else.
I didn't to see much of Dublin. All I saw was the road we took to walk to and from the bus stop, and the scenery that blurred together on our city bus ride to the University College Dublin. I was so out of it most of the timie I hardly took any pictures; the only ones I did take were sitting under a tree on a busy sidewalk waiting for the bus back to Cork.
The capitol is a lot bigger than I expected it to be; it's more like D.C. or Los Angeles, than any other part of Ireland. I finally felt like Cork's was Denver-esque in comparison to Dublin's New York feeling. It was a slight shock, but I am eager to explore the big city when Sam Jones comes to visit in a couple of weeks.
I had taken a taxi back to the hostel and had very in-depth conversation with my taxi driver. Andrew is the son of an Irish-American and a Dubliner; he grew up in the city,but his family has since dispersed around the United States. He owns his own business in Dublin and loves travel and history. We talked about how Ireland has changed, the lack of European history in American education, and politics. He is a good guy I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet.
It helped me pause and realize just how many amazing people I have met since being in Ireland and indeed, since beginning this blog over a year ago. I have met such a medley of individuals it's almost hard to keep track of, but I remember near-everyone for even the little bit they may have impacted my life. It's a good feeling to have met them, to have the opportunity to encounter them, and to learn from them...from best friends to small acquaintances, I have strummed up a number of new relationships, and I am a better person for it.
So, my competitive debate days are officially over. The last round has come to a close. I am satisfied with my accomplishments and my blunders. I will continue to do practice debating with the philsoph, but I'm done with the competitive world. I am excited to round out the next two months here with more travel, more people, and I guess all of that studying. I think I have completed a huge transition in my life as of late, namely moving out a stage that dominated my high school years, and I plan to continue savoring the essence of this chapter abroad and truly enjoy the college experience, independent of the past.
So, cheers: to successes, to mistakes learned from, and to the people, all of the past, present and future.
And with that, end scene, open the next act.
~MJ
PS Pictures are from under a tree on Westmoreland Street, Dublin.
No comments:
Post a Comment