Saturday, October 06, 2007

Debate is back in town, and other news

This week began a more concrete school routine and realized how simultaneously wonderful and terrible life is with only class to worry about.

I am meeting with the Department of Government on Monday to square the details of my research internship with them, which I think will have something to do with youth voting and civic participation in Ireland. I'm kind of excited about it, only because it will be different from just taking a class on the topic, and I'll be getting to know Irish) proffessors in the Department. It will also help me get better acquainted with the Irish political system, which kind of throws me for a loop (I do know that there are a lot of Aherns in government here...that's all).

My Irish class has been scheduled. It will be meeting for an hour on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Friday mornings. While this destroys my habit of not having class on Fridays, I guess I'll live.

I am trying to chalk the rest of my schedule full of something. Since I don't have a job, literally only have class and then absolutely nothing to do. We don't have homework until essay titles come out for the assessments.

This is wonderful to the extent that I feel more relaxed, more in tune with myself and my surroundings, and in general, happier. This is terrible in that when I get back to DU, I'm going to feel so overwhelmed by class five hours a day for four days a week, and then going to work, and then having homework at night. It's going to be quite the shift!

Needless to say, I am going to handle it. I have found ways to use up my time here in productive ways (that is, by not going out to pubs all the time...although Elizabeth and I have been to the Thirsty Scholar four times in the past week).

I have joined the UCC Philosoph, a society focused on debate. Monday nights are house meetings, where a resolution is on the floor of a large gathering about something of importance (last week was Animal Rights), and the society brings in guest speakers on both sides of the issue to debate. They open the case and then members of the floor get up and give two-three minute speeches announcing their view of the topic. It took around two and half hours last week, but it was rather entertaining and highly interesting.

I was so pleased with the event that I decided to follow through with going to "Development" on Tuesday night, which feeds the competitive side of both the society and myself. Development is designed to teach public speaking and debate skills that can be used in competitive arenas. UCC has the fourth best debate team in the world (only surpassed by Oxford, Cambridge, and St. Andrews...so yes, they kick U.S. Ivy League ass). Tuesdays are training times, for competitors and people who are just interested. I found myself falling into the former, as it reminded me of my four years of debate experience and reminded me how great competing is!

We had a large group session (about 75 people) where it was all about introduction and the basics. We then broke off into smaller groups with veteran debaters and did small debates. My group debated torture of terrorists, and I was assigned to oppose torture. Not that that was a difficult position for me to assume, it was difficult to hop back in a mindset I haven't used in two years. Nevertheless, I did win a voucher for a free drink at a pub that society socializes at, which I proceeded to go to afterwards with the members. I ended up meeting some new friends that night, and also talking about high school debate with a girl who's here from Longmont, Colorado. We actually may have competed against one another at one point my junior year, but I don't remember.

Either way, it was a reminder of what a small world we live in, and how I love to make Irish friends. As I walked on campus the rest of the week and saw philosoph members, we exchanged greetings and ensured that we'd see each other at next week's debate and development sessions.

This will surely take up some time, but I am also joining the Journalism Society to write for the campus magazine, Motely. It focuses on arts, culture, and politics...the latter of which I'm assuming I'll be assigned to. They ran a U.S. politics story this past issue, so that may end up being an area I focus on (surprise, surprise).

I will also start trampolining practice next week. Yes, trampolining. It's like low-key gymnastics. They practice three times a week, but two of the practices fall into when I have class (of all of the odds for that to happen...). Nevertheless, they said one practice should suffice. I'm sure one day I'll have pictures/video of this awesomeness.

Debate may bring me to Dublin in November to compete...it will be a matter of rescheduling everything for the London trip so I can go to Dublin. Trampolining also has a competition in November in Belfast which I may be able to go to. For journalism, I'll more than likely be sitting at my computer a lot and meeting many a university professor.

This is exciting.

We aren't making it to the West of Ireland this weekend because something came up with some friends, but we may go next weekend. I'm happy for the break, but also thrilled about the opportunities I have here in Cork. I guess you could say, I'm finding my Irish niche.

~MJ

No comments: