Saturday, August 04, 2007

Thank You For C-SPAN.

Today is my last day in D.C...at least for awhile. It's been a fantastic summer that has gone by entirely too quickly.

I have had an amazing experience at C-SPAN. It's not extactly the TV experience I want or need, but it was a valuable education in its own right.

I've probably learned more about politics, government, and news than I ever have before. I feel more informed about next year's presidential race, my attention span has greatly increased, and I know more than ever the importance of a place like C-SPAN.

I also realized how much I don't know, and even though I have learned a lot, how much I still don't know. It's quite humbling, but also motivating. I am now more encouraged to read more and talk with more people about subjects I'm confused about or need some clarification on.

I worked with some amazing people, who each taught me something about journalism, politics, or just life in general. I feel like I've made some life-long friends whom I will never forget, and whom I can't wait to see again.

This week was busy with wrapping things up for Steve's class, and some last minute research on a presidential candidate. I was also part of the meeting regarding C-SPAN's coverage of next week's Iowa straw poll, which really set in the fact that I won't be there to help. It was kind of a sad moment. Just slightly less depressing than leaving the office without my IDs and card-keys, which had to be turned in as it was my last day. Realizing I couldn't get back in without a visitor's pass...well, that was a kind of empty feeling.

This is not to say I'm not happy to go home. I'm thrilled. Being here made me appreciate home even more; my family, my friends, and, honestly...THE WEATHER. I can't wait for dry heat.

I also have exciting plans with friends and family over the next two weeks, to absorb and cherish the time before leaving for 4 months.

In the meantime, I just want to say, as some of those crazy callers do on the Washington Journal,

THANK YOU FOR C-SPAN.

~MJ


















Pictures! :
1. Brian Lamb and I on the set of The Washington Journal
2. Steve talking with Presidential Candidate, Sen. Chris Dodd.
3. Greta Wodele and I
4. My buddy, Yetta, and I.
5. Mike, KJ, and I in "Our Family Portrait"
6. KJ and I in the control room.
7. The interns and I during a night of partying...
8. Mike and I in a candid moment.
More photos, including my jaunt watching Brit Hume's show, live in the Fox Studios...

No comments: